Exposure – Film + Photo Camp
- Learn from the Best – Blake Jorgenson (Whistler Outdoor Photography), Josh Berman (Level 1 Productions), Johnny DeCesare (Poor Boyz Productions), Darren Rayner (Voluerz), Mike Douglas (Switchback Entertainment), Charlie Grinnel (RED Camera & Grinnell Media Group), David Mossop (Sherpas Cinema) and Jeff Schmuck (Skier Magazine)
- Work with the Best - Tom Wallisch, Joss Christensen, James ‘Woodsy’ Woods and the rest of the Momentum star-studded coaching crew.
- Become the Best - Gain top industry connections, build your portfolio, and launch your passion into a career.
After a very successful inaugural year in 2012, Momentum’s Action Sports Photo & Film Camp doubled in size. This is a limited capacity camp so sign up soon to avoid disappointment!
• What better location to hone your shooting and editing skills than in beautiful Whistler, using some of the world’s best skiers, riders, skaters, kayakers and bikers as your subject matter.
• We will bring together some of the top filmmakers and photographers in the action sports industry to act as your mentors and instructors.
• Whistler offers a wealth of action sports subject matter from skiing and snowboarding on the glacier, to mountain biking, skateboarding, bungee jumping, watersports, etc all set against a breathtaking scenic backdrop.
With a combined Film + Photo Camp you can specialize in either camp or do a mix of both – the choice is yours.
PHOTOGRAPHY: The Photography program is directed once again by renown action Sports Photographer Blake Jorgenson from Whistler Outdoor Photography. Blake is a much sort after professional whose photos have graced the covers of magazines for over a decade and been used in hugely successful ad campaigns. He knows how to capture light and action in the mountains in a uniquely artistic fashion and his work is also highly prized art, exhibited in Whistler’s Adele Campbell Gallery. He adapted his already established workshops in Whistler to focus on the skiing action sports side of Momentum, plus brings his wealth of experience in shooting the many other action sports around Whistler.
Exposure film coaches include Josh Berman from Level 1 Productions, Darren Rayner formerly from Voleurz, along with Special Guest coaches David Mossop from Sherpas Cinema.
• Josh Berman, founding father of Level 1 in 1999, filmer, director and all around great guy has a wealth of experience in the ski movie business.
• As part or the Voleurz team for many years, Darren Rayner won multiple awards for their highly creative and entertaining approach to film-making and scooped the INTERSECTION filmmakers award at the WSSF for the 2nd year in a row.
• David Mossop of Sherpas Cinema joins the team this year as a new guest coach.
Other coaches (unavailable this year) include:
• Johnny Decesare and Poor Boyz helped lead the skiing revolution when it began in the late 90’s with the Movie 13 and since then has continued to produce some of the best action sports films in the industry.
• Mike Douglas is known for his creative work filming and editing Salomon Freeski TV and he has racked up a slew of awards including 2013 Powder Magazine “Best Web Series” and IF3’s 2012: “Best Visual Effects”. Mike’s first full length film “Freedom Chair” won the 2012 Powder award for “Best Documentary”, as well as the 2011 Banff Film Festival – “Best Film – Mountain Sports”. Mike is
What you will Learn and Create:
The camp offers training and workshops in both technical and creative aspects of action sports film and photography, as well as creative and professional editing techniques.You will learn about all the latest digital equipment, editing and postproduction software, uploading to web platforms, etc.
Ideally you should aim to create a finished edit/slideshow by the end of the session that can be profiled through Momentum channels, to a large audience of campers, as well as through camp sponsors and FB sites – giving you great exposure as up and coming shooters! On the final night we rent a conference room and showcase all of the edits and slideshows to campers, coaches and staff!
• Geared for teens and young adults, the program will consist of practical shooting sessions on the glacier, in mountain bike terrain, or at other select locations.
• Editing sessions at the camp hotel
• Seminars & workshops by your coaches along with a spectacular night shoot up on the glacier.
As with our ski camps, you can opt for a Full Package all-inclusive camp which covers transfers, food and accommodation or choose the Instruction-Only Package if you want to make your own arrangements.
Camera: You must have your own SLR camera and/or video camera. Most DSLRs are great for their price: Canon 5D, Canon 60D, Lumix GH4 or GH3. You will want a few lenses as well. Maybe ask the shop where you purchase the camera. Ideally in the focal range of approximately 18 – 200mm
Ski equiment: Be prepared to ski/ride into the glacier for on-snow action shoots (intermediate ski terrain). Rental gear can be arranged.
With a combined Photo & Film Camp your options are to specialize in either camp or do a mix of both, the choice is yours.
Archive: See past campers/coaches in action:
EXPOSURE 2012 REVIEW:
Filming and interviewing the top pros – Tom Wallisch:
• (LEFT) Camper Nick Guy-Carson was asked by Johnny DeCesare for an edit to be featured in Poor Boyz Production’s new film “WE: A Collection of Individuals” DVD.
• He also has a new film coming out at IF3 Montreal, co-directed with Johnny DeCesare! ….Click the photo to watch the edit.
•(TOP RIGHT) Local Newsmagazine featured many campers’ work.
•(BOTTOM RIGHT) Ilanna Barkusky featured on the home page of Newschoolers.com, amongst many others and will be joined the Momentum Crew as Staff Photographer last summer.
• In addition, a number of companies have approached Exposure campers for shots to use in their Ad campaigns!
• Newschoolers.com recap and camper edits. Click HERE.
2012 EDITS AND SLIDE SHOWS
All campers put together film edits and slideshows which were showcased to a big crowd of Momentum Campers, Coaches and Staff on the Final night.
• For the photo showcase click HERE
2013 Exposure edit”